Thursday, October 2, 2014

Pour Coffeehouse Package Reflection




ONW students are excited about the opening of Pour Coffeehouse.  However, there was a rumor circulating that the coffeehouse didn't open until 9AM upsetting students who want coffee in the mornings before school starts.  When me and Savannah went to film we discovered that the coffeehouse actually opens at 6AM.  The purpose of this package was to inform the student body about this new place and spark interest.

I contacted the owner and tried to get an interview with her, however she was unable to comply in time for the show so I made do without her interview.  I was still able to get a variety of shots and quality b roll so the package didn't suffer too much.

I worked with Savannah Plumlee for this project and we were able to work together to organize the b roll and create some good sequences.  We worked with color correcting the interview with Ciara, significantly improving the look of the shot.

If I were to do the package again, I would've made sure I had better communication with the owner of pour coffeehouse.  When we went to interview her she said that she didn't know she was going to be videoed and she didn't want to do it.  By that time it was the evening before the show so I was forced to go without it.  I think that the interview with Nicole, the owner, would've made the package more interesting and provided us with more crucial information on why she opened the coffeehouse and if she's had any experience running a business. Because I didn't have the answers to those questions I had to base my information on her off of her little speech she said before cutting the ribbon.

Me and Savannah were able to string some sequences together, however when we were shooting that was not our main focus.  I think if we would've followed one person going into the coffeehouse, ordering, then drinking, it would've made the story flow better and spark interest in viewers.

Another thing I would do differently is find a place with more ideal lighting for my interview.  After me and Savannah color corrected the interview it looked better, but it still wasn't as good as the lighting in the other shots at the coffeehouse.  For some reason the camera would not white balance very well in that particular setting.

Given the circumstances and the information I had, I think that the voice over turned out pretty well.  Also the close ups on the hands making the coffee and the close ups of the customers drinking the coffee were a nice touch to the package.

My next project I will definitely make interviews, lighting, and sequencing a main focus.  If I can improve in all those areas every week I think my packages will continue to get better.

Overall I thought the package was timely and relevant for the entire student body.  Hopefully my package stirred interest in the students and swayed them to check out this new coffee shop!






1 comment:

  1. This is a great reflection. I like that you thought of following the sequence of a customer ordering, the coffee being made and then driving it. That's story!

    ReplyDelete